Skip to navigation

Walking Land's End to John o'Groats with Mark Moxon

Contact Me: Guestbook

Sam Feltham

Subject: Walking across farmland
Posted: 15 Dec 2004 5:51 am

Hi Mark,

I'm in my last year of Uni and currently planning a Lands End To John O Groats fo next summer. I was just wondering when you did it did you walk across farm lands, and did many farmers mind? Also do you have any further advice for me. Seeming that I am going to camp in the middle of woods. I know it's "illegal" but i think it'll be alrite.

Hope to Hear from you soon,

Sam

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Farmland
Posted: 17 Dec 2004 3:45 am

Hi Sam.

I did walk across a lot of farmland, but only on public rights of way. If you take a look at the Ordnance Survey Explorer maps, then in England and Wales the entire country is criss-crossed with thousands and thousands of green rights of way, along which anyone is free to ramble. In Scotland they have different laws - you can basically go anywhere as long as it's not specifically prohibited - but in England you should stick to rights of way, or you may find a farmer taking pot-shots at you. They really don't like you straying onto their land.

With regard to camping rough, I met people who did it all the time, and they seemed pretty happy with it. I never did it, so I can't offer any advice; strictly speaking it's illegal, though you're unlikely to run into difficulty unless you leave a mess or end up camping on top of a load of crops. I've been told it's best to track down the farmhouse to ask for permission, but sometimes that's not possible. Most farmers will take it in their stride, but there will always be some who don't see the funny side.

Whatever, with regard to rights of way and camping, it won't take long to work out what's acceptable, and the best way to find out is to try it. Have a great walk - it's an amazing thing to do!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply