Skip to navigation

Walking Land's End to John o'Groats with Mark Moxon

Contact Me: Guestbook

Jessica Simpson

Subject: Walking JOGLE with kids
Posted: 21 Jan 2018 1:40 am

Hi Mark,

This is a great site so thank you for sharing your experiences. We would like to walk JOGLE with our 4 children aged 8 years to 12 years. We are thinking about taking about 2.5 months and camping along the way.Do you think this would be possible and what advice would you give?

Thanks Jessica

Post a Reply

James Jones

Subject: jogle with kids
Posted: 4 Feb 2018 5:55 pm

Hi Jessica,

I'm not going to write a long reply as it might sound preachy and negative. It's only my opinion but NO it's not possible.

Post a Reply

DullDave

Subject: Jogle with kids
Posted: 8 Feb 2018 5:22 pm

Sorry to be negative Jessica, but this seems way too ambitious to me. Allowing 2.5 months may sound generous, but that would still leave you with some 15 mile plus days- tough for an eight year old.
The walk is enjoyable, but its also relentless, which may prove too much for youngsters.

Having said all that, you know your kids best.

Post a Reply

Bernie

Posted: 7 Jun 2018 8:16 am

It is said that a correct walking distance be 1km per year of age (an 8 y.o. child would do at best 8 km-walks, that's about "five miles out"...

All the best.

Bd

Post a Reply

Bernie

Posted: 7 Jun 2018 8:16 am

It is said that a correct walking distance be 1km per year of age (an 8 y.o. child would do at best 8 km-walks, that's about "five miles out"...

All the best.

Bd

Post a Reply

Bernie

Subject: Walking JOGLE with kids
Posted: 7 Jun 2018 12:44 pm

Can be done while listening to Mike Oldfield "Five miles out" (hence telling it in my previous message!)...

0,62 mile (1 km) per walk (or day) and per year of age is enough to give him pleasure, and not too much.
More could make the kid not like it and never like it.
So if you start gradually until he is a teenager, then he will much more likely follow you then on longer distances and appreciate the trip.

Bd

Post a Reply