Skip to navigation

Walking Land's End to John o'Groats with Mark Moxon

Contact Me: Guestbook

Erin

Subject: LEJOG
Posted: 17 Oct 2016 5:28 pm

Hi, I'm planning to walk the Lands End to John O Groats route starting in July 2017 to raise money for the Great Ormond Street Hospital and for Cancer Research UK. I would really like to ask some questions however about the route.

You explain that your route took approximately 70 days to walk, is it possible to cut that down depending on your fitness levels or would that be what you would consider to be an average walking time?

Along your walk you took many accommodation stops but you do talk about the possibility of wild camping. while I know it will require more research will there potentially be plenty of places to camp along the way?

Thank you for taking the time to read my message.
Erin.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Camping
Posted: 24 Oct 2016 2:41 pm

Hi Erin.

You can definitely cut it down - my route's daily mileage is fairly low, as that pace suits me. Some people walk for more than a marathon every day and manage to polish off the walk in under a month, while others take longer than me. The important thing is to choose a pace that suits you... and everyone is different, so only you can know what that pace is.

In terms of camping, I'm not an expect on wild camping as I have never done it - I'm way too soft and pampered! - but if you take a look at the links on my Useful Links page:

www.landsendjohnogroats.info/walking_tips/links.html

and take a look through some of the other walkers' journals listed there, you'll come across a lot of accounts by campers, some of which list all the sites they stayed in. Camping is the most popular way to do it, given the cost of accommodation and the length of the walk, and although in some parts of the country it can be a challenge to find a campsite (particularly in busy tourist spots), people generally don't seem to have problems finding somewhere to camp.

I hope this helps, and good luck with the planning. If you've got any other questions, feel free to send them my way - I'm happy to help!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

James Jones

Subject: Your LEJOG
Posted: 16 Nov 2016 3:16 pm

Hi ERin,

First of all, good luck next year with your walk. Secondly accept my apology if this sounds like I'm telling an experienced walker how to suck eggs, it's not intended. I just noted that your planning on doing your walk later on in the year then most, your probably going to be in Scotland around September time and you intend to camp. I just wanted to mention 'The Midge' or midges. There most active in July/August but I've experienced them being around in vast numbers in late October. They can be absolutely soul destroying and test the most patient of people. For me that was the main reason why I chose to start my own journey in April. I hope to be finished before the little buggers hatch. They are the most annoying animal that I've ever encountered whilst walking, cows, dogs etc can be avoided, the midge can't. They get everywhere and,once bitten you spend the next week scratching.

Good luck next year and happy planning.

James

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Midges
Posted: 5 Dec 2016 10:18 am

Wise words about the midges, James. They drove me nuts, particularly on the West Highland Way!

Though when I walked, the horseflies were even worse than the midges. They *really* sucked... 😉

Mark

Post a Reply